A region nestled between India and Tibet known for adventure and thrill – Lahaul & Spiti’s pictures from its unreal landscape must have crossed your newsfeed a few times. Inspired by them and stories from Instagram, plan your drive to Spiti with Trek & Explore, to experience the unique vibe of this cold deserted, landlocked mountain valley. To put it simply, a perfect playground for those who seek adventurous off-road driving to Spiti which is not just a place, it is a feeling.
Feel like being on top of the world, as you look down at a tiny truck that lies below Asia’s highest suspended Chicham Bridge. After a long riding haul, experience a unique calmness at your pitstop by the vibrant yet peaceful vibes of the 1000-year-old Key monastery that stand aloof on this rugged terrain. Breathe in the fresh air as you sit and relax on the isolated slopes of the highest village while you soak in the magnificent landscapes surrounded by you.
• Reach Manali early in the morning and meet a representative who will help you with the smooth transfer to the hotel.
• On reaching the hotel, complete the check-in formalities and have a hearty breakfast.
• After resting for a while, it's time to head towards Manali for local sightseeing.
• The sightseeing will start with full enthusiasm and you will be visiting the famous Hadimba temple, Buddhist temple, Clubhouse, Siyali Mahadev, Van Vihar and Old Manali.
• Along with the same, you will be able to click multiple pictures to create wonderful memories.
• Return back to the hotel in Manali for an overnight stay
• After breakfast, you will start by hitting the road from Manali towards Kaza.
• You will be passing through the popular Atal Tunnel and then drive into the stunning brown-badland landscape to approach Chatru and Batal.
• At 14,931 feet, you will be catching your first chill at the Kunzum Pass and then descend into Losar Village, the first village in Spiti valley.
• Take a short stopover at Losar and enjoy a hot cup of tea and some snacks.
• Having warmed up with a cup of tea, you will continue driving through the stunning landscapes and reach Kaza.
• You will be spending the night at a comfortable hotel in Kaza.
• Enjoy a hearty breakfast before you drive to some of the highest inhabited regions of the world.
• First, you will be visiting the highest village in Asia, Komik, which literally translates to ‘eye of a snow cock’.
• You will then proceed to Hikkim for a visit to the world’s highest post office in the world and if possible, you may even meet the postmaster and hear his stories.
• After sending out a postcard, you will be driving to Langza, a village that is home to the ancient Lang Temple which is estimated to be around 1000 years old.
• You will then drive back down to Kaza for lunch.
• You will then be proceeding towards the world-famous Ki Monastery nestled between the mountains in a bowl-shaped valley of the small village Langza in Spiti valley.
• You will then go farther up the valley to the picturesque village of Kibber to treasure the expanses of beautiful landscapes and immeasurable beauty of the snow-tipped mountains.
• From Kibber, you will drive higher up to the secluded village of Gette where you can absorb stunning aerial views of Kaza and tie a prayer flag.
• Later in the evening, you will drive back to Kaza to spend the night at the hotel.
• After having early morning breakfast, commence your journey towards Tabo.
• At Tabo, visit the 1020-year-old Tabo Monastery which is a UNESCO world heritage site and is famous for its ancient paintings that are a fusion of western Tibetan, Indian and Kashmiri styles.
• After spending a couple of hours at Tabo, you will retrace your path for 25 odd kilometres and then take a right towards the tiny hamlet of Dhankar, perched high above the confluence of the Spiti and Pin River.
• If time permits, do take an hour’s climb above the village to visit the stunning turquoise Dhankar Tso or Dhankar Lake to enjoy stunning views of the valley.
• You will then drive towards the beautiful Pin Valley that houses a national park with an abundance of animals and birds, with some rare plant varieties and a river that gushes when it isn’t frozen.
• You will be first visiting the Kungri Monastery and then the beautiful hamlet of Mudh, which is the last motorable village of the Pin Valley.
• Birds such as the pika, griffon, golden eagle, bearded vulture, Chukor and Raven will be painting the skies with a pretty picture as you drive through the beautiful Pin Valley.
• You will then drive back to Kaza in the evening to spend the night at the hotel.
• After having early morning breakfast, commence your journey back home and trace the steps back on the Kaza – Manali road.
• However, on your way back you will take a detour towards another Spitian wonder, Chandratal Lake.
• The mystical and beautiful Chandratal Lake, with a striking backdrop of Chandra Bhaga mountain range, keeps changing its appearance throughout the day.
• After capturing the colors of the beautiful Chandratal Lake, you will drive down to your campsite where you can enjoy a hot supper under the gaze of a million stars.
• Overnight stay at the camps near Chandratal Lake.
• With the visuals of the stunning Chandratal Lake captured in the minds and cameras, you will continue tracing your steps back towards Manali.
• You will pass through the newly built Atal Tunnel to reach Manali where you can choose to explore the markets shopping for souvenirs.
• Later in the day, you will head to Manali Bus Stand to board a bus to Delhi.
• Once you reach Delhi in the evening, your Spiti tour comes to an end.